Friday, September 4, 2009

Clandestine Scrabble

I am sure you are all imagining now dark and musty dens where addicted gamblers play various games, their vice-marked faces clouded by cigarette smoke, their voices hoarse and their eyes glassy. Or maybe you are thinking that I am planning to open an illegal Scrabble betting place, like the one (not related to Scrabble, of course) in the apartment building near our house. Our neighbor says it’s owned by the yakuza. Hm, I wonder whether we could convince Nigel to get into the business…
Anyway, my illicit adventure is connected to the coming of my in-laws to Japan. Don’t get me wrong, I honestly like them. Unfortunately (for all three of us), my wife’s idea of fun is walking around endlessly and visiting all kinds of places that none of us (except her, of course) is really interested in. So most of the two weeks they are going to spend here will probably be occupied with this most appealing activity which will definitely lead to my mother-in-law’s complaining (rightfully) that her feet hurt and she can’t walk anymore, to my suffering from pains in various parts of the body and my father-in-law’s heroic attempts to hide his discomfort and make his little girl happy. I still don’t understand how she can have so much energy, because I can already see her walking besides us or moving around us and talking incessantly.
But I must be fair to her: she knows how much I have to endure, so she offered a compromise. She lets me go to Tokyo to play Scrabble with Jason and in return I must agree to all the entertainment plans she has made. Have I mentioned that we are going to see a play performed by the Takarazuka group? For those of you who don’t know, the Takarazuka group consists of women only, the most appreciated being those who play the male parts. Apparently the audience is made up mainly of other women who fall desperately in love with the actresses. But I’m going. And I’m going to see temples, and Buddhist art exhibitions, and many other things. I know you already envy me.
At least, I’m going to Tokyo, an adventure which must not be divulged, lest her parents think their son-in-law is a good for nothing who wakes up late and wastes his time in front of the computer or on useless games. Well, when I become a Scrabble millionaire, I’ll show them! Until then, I look forward to my underground enterprise. I’ll keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment